Monday, June 22, 2009

Philippine Elections

When I was on my teenage years, I’ve always been so excited to turn eighteen. Besides the fact that I’d be now called a lady, and the fact that I am now considered of legal age, what made me more excited was the fact that I’d be able to participate during elections already. Honestly, I’ve always loved the idea of being able to choose my own set of leaders. I’ve always loved the idea of making a difference through my own vote.

Now, the 2007 elections came. Finally, I was able to exercise my right to vote, my right to select and elect my own choice of leaders. But that doesn’t end there. I came to realize how poverty has emerged in our own municipality. I came to realize that there are a lot of people suffering from hunger. I came to realize how bad the conditions of my fellows are in the deserted areas.

By the way, you might be wondering how I came to know all these. Well, I m lucky enough that my father was a politician (you’ve read it right, I felt lucky enough), and that I was able to join him during the campaign. Now you know. Anyway, that’s another story – that I’ll share some other time - though so let me go back to my topic.

Moreover, I think I do have to confess that I am a victim of missing votes. You know, voting and not knowing where your votes went. Let me share to you my family’s story. Well, in that particular precinct, supposedly we have a sure eight votes for my father since we’re eight in the family who voted that day. Apparently, after all the ballots have been counted, we realized there were six votes missing. Yes, came the election result for that precinct, we lost six votes for my father. Imagine how was the cheaters rule that time?

But that instance did not and it will never lead me to not being interested come the election time. No matter how unfortunate that instance was, I’d never allow that to discourage me from exercising my right to select my leaders. After all, I love my country. After all, I’ve always been do idealistic that I’ve always believed that there would come a time when change would rule in this country, a time that we’ll be able to elect qualified leaders. I have always been a great believer that change comes from within, and part of that is joining the whole election process.

A lot of Filipinos of my age are so hopeless that they’d rather choose not to vote. Oh my! I wish they’d change their minds. I mean, why think of the negative side when you can be positive anyway? Even though I lost my vote last election, never did it cross my mind to never participate in the coming elections again, because I’ve always believed that my country needs me.

No matter how dirty Philippine elections have become, I am still hopeful that one day, everything would fall on its right places. I am still hopeful that one day, there would be a drastic change in this country – positive of course. I am still positive that one day, the electoral process in this country would be free from cheaters, from liars, from selfish people, from all the negativity that comes with it right now. Who knows? It might be in the coming elections. (Fingers Crossed)

No comments: